Advanced materials have the ability to solve the world’s most fundamental challenges.
Entrepreneurs who figure out how to go farther and faster with the same resources.
Entrepreneurs who solve the world’s most fundamental problems with advanced materials.
Entrepreneurs who are making a meaningful impact.
Established in 2000, our team has spent decades standing shoulder-to-shoulder with our entrepreneurs, rolling up our sleeves to help them solve problems.
Chris is the founding general partner of Pangaea Ventures and has helped entrepreneurs change the world for over 25 years. Chris is based in Phoenix and sits on the boards of several portfolio companies. Prior to starting Pangaea in 2000, Chris was a partner at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt, specializing in environmental and corporate law. Chris has been on the board of the Canadian Venture Capital Association and several non-profit organizations.
Chris has a Juris Doctorate from the University of Toronto and a B.Comm from the University of Calgary.
Partner, Health Investment
A passion for improving the delivery of healthcare through innovation is what drives Janelle. With over 12 years of healthcare experience, she has a background in private investments, scaling ventures and management consulting.
As partner at Pangaea, with a focus on healthcare investment, Janelle brings her expertise in entrepreneurial endeavours (including launching a population health technology platform; becoming a joint venture with Microsoft and GE), her extensive network in private capital, public and private healthcare sectors. Janelle spent most of her career at GE Healthcare collaborating with global teams across Europe and US. She is enthusiastic about working closely with Modulim, Aspect Biosystems, Correlia Biosystems and Redlen.
Janelle holds MBA from the University of British Columbia in Entrepreneurship and Innovation and a Bachelor of Commerce from McGill University.
Andrew joined Pangaea Ventures in 2006 and since then has developed deep expertise in helping companies navigate the early growth stage as they work to prove product-market fit, build out high-performance teams, cultivate a culture of excellence, and optimize growth financing. Andrew is also responsible for leading Pangaea's impact strategy and related activities, including the incorporation of impact measurement into due diligence, impact reporting, and portfolio value creation. He currently works closely with Aspect Biosystems, CarbonCure Technologies, ESS Inc., Prime Roots, Tidal Vision and previously worked with numerous energy-related companies in Pangaea’s portfolio.
Andrew holds a Bachelor of Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering) from the University of Toronto and a Masters in Business Administration degree from the University of British Columbia.
Purnesh has been involved in developing and commercializing advanced materials across diverse industries over the past 25 years. He has held leadership positions in both large enterprises and startup companies. He is now applying his entrepreneurial passion and well-honed skills to help build startup companies leveraging advanced materials innovation to make the world better by addressing global challenges, such as, climate change, energy, food, water, and health. Purnesh also shares his knowledgebase by providing mentoring and advisory services with groups promoting entrepreneurship and advanced materials commercialization.
He received his B.Sc. (chemistry/biology), with distinction, from the University of Guyana, Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia where he was a Commonwealth Scholar and completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Delaware."
Rejoining Pangaea Ventures in 2020, Sarah brings almost a decade of venture capital and company building experience to the team. Sarah has cultivated expertise in building entrepreneurial teams, scaling early stage ventures, and venture financing. Sarah is an active mentor to early stage entrepreneurs and a startup community activator and advocate.
Sarah led Pangaea’s investments into PolySpectra and Correlia Biosystems. Sarah holds a Bsc. From Dalhousie University and an MBA from the Schulich School of Business.
Matt joined Pangaea Ventures in 2012. Prior to joining Pangaea Ventures, Matt was part of a start-up in printed electronics utilizing nanotechnology and has experience with companies in biotechnology and environmental bioremediation. He performed various functions ranging from R&D to business development to devising international launch strategies while gaining valuable start-up understanding. He works closely with TruTag Technologies and is on the NREL Investor Advisory Board.
Matt holds an MPhil in Micro- & Nanotechnology Enterprise from the University of Cambridge and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a BSE in Materials Science & Engineering.
Director, Finance & Admin
Tracy Hedberg is a Chartered Accountant with a scientific background. She worked six years as Senior Securities Analyst, Corporate Finance, for the British Columbia Securities Commission. Tracy served as Controller for Lion One Metals Inc., a TSX-V listed company, before establishing her own practice and later joining Pangaea. Tracy has a BSc. with a double major in Biology and Environmental Science from the University of Victoria, as well as her CA designation.
Analysts & Associates
Who We Are:
Pangaea Ventures is a world leader in advanced materials venture capital. We invest in game changing startups that are moving the needle on big, global challenges. We are an impact investor focused on climate change, food & water security, and improving healthcare. We invest in commercial stage companies with operations based in Canada & the United States. With the launch of our 5th fund, we are expanding our investment team in Vancouver, BC and Phoenix, AZ with both analyst and associate positions available.
Who you are:
We are looking for associates and analysts who are passionate about innovation, hardtech, science, entrepreneurship, and making a positive impact. You are ambitious, employ creative thinking, are a self starter, and comfortable in an unstructured work environment. You will support our team with your strong analytical and research skills. We expect you to be able to extract insights and draw conclusions from incomplete data.
Role & Responsibilities
- Perform market research and analysis to evaluate and understand market trends and develop opinions and recommendations about sectors and trends we should focus on
- Generate high quality deal flow and build relationships with founders, relevant seed fund managers, and accelerator programs
- Help prepare investor reports, investment memos, and other presentations
- Support the investment team on company and market evaluation, due diligence, and reporting
- Contribute to the development of marketing strategies and stakeholder engagement
- Represent Pangaea Ventures and our Portfolio at relevant conferences and other industry events
Our Ideal Candidate is:
- Passionate about innovation, technology, and entrepreneurship
- Aligned with our values (entrepreneurial mindset, team first attitude, lean organization)
- Well-organized with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple deliverables simultaneously
- A self starter who works well independently, but can ask for help when needed
- Naturally curious and loves to learn.
- Polished and professional with strong interpersonal communication, writing, and presentation skills
- One of (i) Post secondary degree in a relevant scientific discipline, PhD or Masters preferred or (ii) MBA or business undergrad degree with strong academic credentials
- 1+ years of relevant work experience in a fast paced, technology-oriented environment. This also can include highly relevant internships or co-op placements. Prior work with a start-up or VC is a plus, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build long term relationships both internally and externally
- Highly self motivated, able to work well independently and as part of a team
- Legally able to work in either the United States or Canada and travel between the two countries.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral
- Proficiency with excel and financial modeling is a plus, but not required
Interested candidates must submit CV, LinkedIn profile, and a short video (max 2 minutes) outlining why you are interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The video should be submitted as a URL link on your CV. Please include your preferred location (Vancouver or Phoenix) in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until October 15, 2021 at 5pm PT.
We welcome diverse backgrounds and experience, so even if you believe you don't check every box, we still want to hear from you!
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We work closely with our world-leading Strategic Limited Partners who bring diverse market and industry knowledge: